ASSISTANT MANAGER – POWERSCOURT GARDEN PAVILION
Salary: Will depend on experience
Status: Full-time position
Equal Opportunities Employer
We are currently recruiting for a full time garden centre assistant manager. The position requires you to be sales driven, self-motivated, ambitious, and commercially creative. You must also have a keen eye, paying attention to detail and style.
The ideal candidate must be a qualified horticulturalist with at least 5 years’ experience working in a busy garden centre environment. The candidate should be customer service focused, have an outgoing personality with a passion for both plants and people.
To apply, please e mail a cover letter and C.V. to email@example.com
Assist the Manager in the following duties
- Attaining all financial targets, in particular sales, gross margin, shrinkage, stock turn, staff costs, other operating costs, customer numbers, average customer spend and operating profit.
- Motivate, manage and lead the staff team.
- Create and develop a staff structure.
- Ensure budgeted employment costs for the centre are met.
- Carry out staff recruitment.
- Be responsible for the appointment and induction of staff.
- Ensure that the holiday procedure is adopted and adhered to.
- Ensure accurate recording of staff’s weekly hours.
- Ensure pay, time off in lieu and other work changes are recorded accurately.
- Assess the training needs of your team and provide hands-on effective training on an on-going basis with all staff.
- Ensure the Centre is adequately staffed on a daily basis through the setting up of a comprehensive staff roster programme.
- Ensure all the staff present themselves in a professional manner and with the correct uniform.
- Ensure that weekly and daily work planning schedules are created and actioned.
- Ensure staff are continually assessed on their performance of their daily duties and provide on going feedback.
- Be responsible for efficient and effective communication within the business.
- Ensure all staff are answering and using the telephone system to a high standard.
- Ensure feedback is received from the staff.
- Communicate with the Manager of the Garden Pavilion on a regular, formal basis.
Daily Site Operation
- Ensure the centre is open and ready for sales at the start of each day.
- Achieve a sharp, neat, professional shop floor image with the aim of pursuing high standards of cleanliness and house-keeping at all times.
- Be responsible for the security of the site and to resolve any security problems immediately.
- Be responsible for the Health and Safety management of the site.
- Ensure at all times that stock on the shop floor is clean and presentable.
- Ensure all live material in the retail area is maintained in top quality condition.
- Take action on any stock that does not meet the above requirement.
- Provide input into the overall buying strategy.
- Be involved in product selection if needed.
- Be responsible for overseeing all day-to-day ordering.
- Ensure that all bought promotions are carried out as intended.
- Keep abreast of trends and styles.
- Ensure that product prices are in line with budgeted gross margin figures.
- Be responsible for ensuring that maximum margins are achieved at all times.
- Ensure that product prices are changed when price increases come through from suppliers.
- Ensure that all deliveries are booked in and checked off against delivery notes.
- Ensure that all stock is entered onto the EPOS system.
- Ensure that the EPOS system is used to understand sales, create promotion plans, monitor slow moving and low margin products lines.
- Ensure that all invoices received are checked against delivery notes.
- Be responsible for ensuring that all credit note requests are carried out, resulting in credit received.
Merchandising, display and layout
- Ensure that all stock is displayed in a neat and tidy fashion.
- Ensure that all promotional display areas are fully stocked and signed at all times.
- Keep abreast of style and trends and to implement these into display and merchandising.
- Be responsible for the overall layout of the retail areas.
- Ensure that customer flow route is maintained around the retail area.
- Ensure that the layout does not pose a health and safety hazard to customers or staff..
- Provide input into marketing strategies.
- Liaise with the Marketing Manager with regard to advertising and promotion programmes and PR.
- Provide marketing collateral and social media/website content to the Marketing Manager.
- Ensure that the website is kept up to date.
- Ensure that social media channels are used regularly.
- Organise promotional activities such as talks and kids workshops.
- Ensure the team understand the needs and lifestyle of the target market.
Health and Safety
- Ensure that a health and safety policy is adopted and adhered to.
- Ensure that all health and safety checks are carried out and records maintained.
- Ensure that regular maintenance of the building is undertaken.
- Carry out regular checks of the building and fixtures and take action to maintain standards.